29th Jun 2021
Fire Sprinkler System for Care Home in Morecambe
A recent fire inspection recommended the installation of a Fire Sprinkler System at an existing Care Home in Morecambe, Lancashire. Sprinklers control fire growth and allow extra time for residents to leave a building in the event of a fire, thereby reducing both the risk to life and reducing the degree of damage caused by fire.
Benefits of installing a Fire Sprinkler System in Care Homes
An automatic fire sprinkler system is designed to:
• detect a fire within a protected building, and
• release water in the fire-affected area via the sprinkler heads, which contain heat sensitive elements designed to operate automatically at a pre-determined temperature. Only those sprinklers in the vicinity of the fire operate, and
• initiate a water flow-activated, audible, local alarm when a sprinkler head operates, and
• transmit a signal to an approved alarm-receiving centre when required.
In addition, when a fire sprinkler system is installed in a Care Home, fire doors to bedrooms need not be fitted with self-closing devices and protected areas can contain more than 10 beds. Download building regulations
Ultrasafe has qualified engineers covering the North West and South East of England and was asked to design a bespoke fire sprinkler system suitable for the 50 rooms at this Care Home in Morecambe, which enjoys spectacular views across to the Lake District. The sprinkler system covers two communal lounges, the dining room, kitchen and a number of individual bedrooms. A total of 255 fire sprinkler heads were installed, fed by a pump and tank system. Download a case study where a pump and tank system extinguished a fire in Hove, Sussex
Annual Maintenance or Fire Sprinkler System
Ultrasafe’s services include all aspects of fire sprinkler systems, including system design, installation, commissioning and annual fire sprinkler maintenance. Whilst it is recommended that a smoke alarm is tested on a weekly basis, there is no need for residents to test the Fire Sprinkler System on a weekly basis as this is checked during the annual maintenance visit by Ultrasafe’s Engineers. During the Fire Sprinkler maintenance visit the following safety checks are carried out:
- Pressure & flow of the water supply,
- Linked alarms are tested,
- Control valves, flow switches, test valves & associated equipment are checked where appropriate,
- Sprinkler heads & pipework – checked to ensure their functionality is not impeded.
On successful completion of a safety check or service the fire sprinkler system will be re-certified as compliant.